Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Uncle George

"no more Uncle Spooky Eyes,"
my little brother said

i told him to shut up
because i was that typical
shitty big brother that you always hear about

Uncle George used to 
flip his eyelids inside-out
and roll his eyeballs backwards 

hence
Uncle Spooky Eyes 

us kids really got a kick out of it
freaked us out
but we liked it

in February of 1992
he took his own life

"no more Uncle Spooky Eyes,"
my little brother said 

"shut up!"
i yelled

suicide was a lot like his spooky eyes
it disturbed me deeply
and yet strangely fascinated me

i didn't like it 
it freaked me out
but
sorta 
understood it

it was almost
poetic 

the aftermath of a suicide 
however 
is far less Shakespearean 

my gramma
whom i loved so much
was devastated 
crushed
emotionally reduced to rubble

my usually stoic grampa
crumbled into tears

all my aunts
other uncles
and mom
were burdened with wondering
if there was anything they could have
done

there was arguing
and fighting
and blaming

a fucking shit-show of feelings

Gramma blamed Grampa
Grampa blamed himself
aunts blamed other aunts
uncles blamed other uncles

what an easily upset institution 
the family unit can be

we were never a high functioning clan
but after that
it seemed like there was always a feud

and i always think back to that night
when my 6 year old brother first experienced the death of someone in his life

i've never talked to my brother about it
i don't know that he remembers
but i would certainly guess

what an easily upset institution 
what a love deprived wasteland 
what a cradle of neglect
the family unit can be 

i try not to have regrets 
as they are useless
but...

i wish i could go back to that night

"no more Uncle Spooky Eyes,"
my little brother would say
and instead of yelling at him
i would hug him
and just say
"no more Uncle Spooky Eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment