Saturday, April 22, 2017

I Am Not My Crippling Social Anxiety

getting an invitation
for a party
in the mail
was like receiving a death-letter

honestly 
i'd feel better about it if
someone had died

at least there'd be one less person there

the family gatherings
the friendly get-togethers
the outdoor music festivals
fuck!
especially the outdoor music festivals 

i never wanted to go

every class 
every shift 
induced a minor panic attack 
some less minor than others

meeting just one friend for coffee
that's not too bad

meeting a few friends for lunch
that's worse

but
a fucking party?
i start wondering if it would just be better 
to throw myself in front of a bus
right now

when i was drinking 
the bar wasn't so bad
because they had my anxiety medication 
on hand

but in my sobriety 
human interaction is like a hangover 
and solitude is my hair of the dog

i try to tell myself 
that it's all in my head 
that it's some form of chemical imbalance 

that
i am not my crippling social anxiety 

but i never believe it


No comments:

Post a Comment