Sunday, February 26, 2017

Requiem for My First Fan

it was an early show
in the six year lifespan of my Milwaukee band

i still wasn't sure if my songs were resonating
with anybody

just a three piece at that time
still searching for a bass player
we set up in the corner of The Pub
on the corner of Clarke and Weil
in Riverwest

opening for my keys player's band
we played a 45 minute set
to an audience mostly there
to see his
other
band

but
the house was packed
the energy was high
i was high
and i sang and yelled like my life
depended on it

Angie was the singer for the next act

she dug our set enough to later ask Paul
to invite me to join their group
after that night

but more than Angie
her boyfriend
Jon
he seemed to really get it

really care
about what i was doing
playing
singing
screaming
whatever

he bought me a beer
and offered me to join him in the restroom
for a bump

as we snorted a couple lines
off the top of the urinal
Jon told me
"Dude, I fucking love your songs!"

i could tell he meant it
and it felt so good to know
my morose rock dirges were landing
with someone

that all my lyrics about
alcohol addiction
drug abuse
and toxic relationships
weren't just falling on deaf ears

Jon could hear what i was saying

Jon got it

and about four years after that show
Jon died from a drug overdose

No comments:

Post a Comment