Wednesday, August 24, 2016

My First Day of Kindergarten

never has a door been so heavy as
the west wing door of Duncombe Elementary was
that day

it was an early indicator
how fear would always overwhelm me
and finding strength would be no easy task

i could not open that goddamned
door

i ran down the sidewalk
after my mom
bawling
"i can't open it! it won't open!"

the look in her eyes was one of  sheer pity

she knew i wasn't gonna make it
they were gonna eat me alive

the teachers
the other students
were all going to tear me apart
limb from limb

there was no avoiding it

so
mom walked me back to the door
opened it for me
and said
"it's gonna be okay"

i knew she was lying
but i went inside anyway
thinking
"let's get this bloodbath over with"



©https://allpoetry.com/poem/12841175-My-First-Day-of-Kindergarten--by-Danny-Price

No comments:

Post a Comment