Monday, October 3, 2016

Cathy's Funeral

she was always running late for work
no matter what the job was
or what time she started

yelling at me and my brother
from the bathroom
with a curling iron
in her hair

"if you two would pick up after yourselves
I wouldn't be late all the time!"

we could never figure out how
our rooms being a mess
so consistently impacted
her time frame

as a family
we were late for most things

important school functions
any big holiday gathering
weddings
wedding rehearsals
wedding receptions
and funerals

every time
it had something to do
with our untidy rooms

now
i am almost 40
live in my own apartment
in another city
in another state

but when i heard that my mom had passed
within five minutes i found myself
picking up the place

because
subconsciously
i don't wanna feel responsible
just in case she is
late for her own funeral

No comments:

Post a Comment