Wednesday, October 15, 2014

N. Lamar

it was a particularly long day
walking around in the Austin heat
with too much on my mind

i'd avoided the drink
though it seemed to call for me from every watering hole i passed

the sun finally set
and the air became cool
as i headed north along Pease Park

the moonlight helped to quiet my nerves
and i started to get to a place that was peaceful
in my mind

just then a car went by and stopped at the red light ahead

a girl in a sun dress hung out the back window
waving a peace sign and saying
"i love you"

i sort of smiled
reciprocated the peace sign and said
"ditto"

she called out again
"hey
i love you
give me the peace sign back"

i said
"i am
can't you see?"

she ignorantly persisted
"hey
i love you
give me the peace sign back"

to which i exclaimed
" goddammit
calm down you fuckin' hippy!"

then the car drove away
and i had to start all over

No comments:

Post a Comment